Sunday, March 1, 2009

Saturday Night's Awesome Dinner: Chicken Cordon Bleu

So there is is. Chicken Cordon Bleu with mushroom white wine sauce and steamed asparagus with red creamers. (potatoes)

I had a good time making the meal, and my wife and I even snapped some pictures during the process. Next time I will be more precise, but you should get the overall idea.

Steps not pictured:
- Rinse of boneless skinless chicken breasts. (these were huge, so I used three)
- Put plastic over top, and beat them down. (not to much or they explode. I speak from experience people.)
- place your ham & cheese on top.
- Roll up and stick a toothpick or two in it to hold the roll.
- Roll in flour.
- Roll in beaten egg.
- Roll in fine ground Italian breadcrumbs.

Next, I took my red potatoes and tossed them in some olive oil, fresh minced garlic, rosemary sprigs and fresh chopped parsley.



Then, I threw them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes. I absolutely love simple sides that are easy prep and no fuss.

Next, I started a pot of water, and set up my bamboo steamer. I rinsed the asparagus off, trimmed a little off the bottoms and threw them in. Again, no fuss. I just let it steam over a medium setting until everything else was done.


















Next, I took my skillet, melted about a half stick of butter, threw in some fresh minced garlic, salt, pepper, and a dash of white wine.
Then I placed the chicken rolls in the pan, giving them a medium brown on each side. Man it started smelling good.

After I finished browning the rolls on all sides, I put them in a glass baking dish and put them in the oven at 375 degrees.

From there, I took the drippings from the chicken, splashed a little more white wine in the pan, and added a little more butter.

Then I added the fresh button mushrooms. and let them cook down.

Next, I used a slotted spoon to remove the mushrooms from the pan.

Next, I took a few spoons of flour and stirred it around the pan, letting it soak up all the juices from the chicken and mushrooms.

I let it heat up for a few seconds, then added about a cup of milk to the pan. this thinned out for a few seconds until the flour started to expand in the pan. I repeated this step 3 times.
Then, after the third time it didn't thicken quite as much, I added a dash of vermouth wine, and then put the mushrooms back in and mixed it all together.

Next i checked on the chicken in the oven, which looked so good I had to take a picture.

And that's about it. I sprinkled some shredded Parmesan over the asparagus, and we threw down...LOL

Here's a shot of my plate:

And then here is a shot of the chicken rolls that I cut up for the kids:

No comments: