Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Spanglish Sandwich

Have you ever seen the movie Spanglish? It is an older movie starring Adam Sandler playing a chef with a crazy out of control wife and a housekeeper who is learning English. (hence the name.)
During the movie, there is a scene where the chef comes home from work late at night, and makes himself this sandwich that honestly, I couldn't help but think about after the movie was over.
It turns out that not only is the sandwich pictured on the DVD,
but in the special features of the DVD, there is a video with the actual recipe from the sandwich. Below I have posted the video for you to check out.






So here we go, this is how I made the Spanglish Sandwich. Let me tell you, wow. It was amazingly tasty! But really unhealthy...LOL

Alright, so I found the best bread that I could, A local Deli had this Italian crust loaf, so I tried it.

So, Obviously, I had to slice the bread.

Earlier I had already cooked the bacon, which I had draining on some paper towels.
Next, I sliced my tomato.....
Then I laid two pieces of bread flat.
I spread mayonnaise on one.....
Then dropped two slices of tomato on top of the mayo.
Then I neatly places five bacon slices, alternating ends, on top of the tomato.....
Alright, next, I laid three slices of provolone on the other slice of bread, and threw it in the broiler. (I like provolone because it melts awesome!)
Then I threw a few leaves of lettuce (iceberg) on top of the bacon.
Alright, a couple of things here. In the original recipe I believe it calls for an extra large egg, well all I had was medium, so I used two. Also, in the video, somehow they get the yolk to line up perfectly in the middle of the sandwich to get cut through when they cut the entire sandwich in half. I'm not so lucky. Plus I was using two eggs to boot. So just before I slid them out of the pan, I popped both yolks. mmmmmm runny yolks........

Doesn't that look good? I think so!
Next, I pulled the cheesy side out of the broiler.
oh man...that looked good to. I mean, can you pack this much goodness in a sandwich?
So I just put the cheesy top on.
Don't hate it cause it's beautiful people. It was born that way.
Three words people. FAT GUY HEAVEN.......
Honestly, you cant knock this until you try it. I absolutely am in love with this sandwich.
Thanks again to my beautiful wife for helping me with the pictures.

No comments: