Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Creamy Ranch Chicken (from the facebook recipe network.)

Alright. This is kind of a cool situation, because I actually got to make this particular recipe at the person who posted it's residence!

I would say overall it turned out well, but there are a few things I would tweak next time around. One thing I did different right off the bat was to include some chopped mushrooms cooked with the bacon. (When the bacon had about two minutes left to brown, I threw in the mushrooms, because they always cook down pretty quickly, especially in bacon fat.) And the other thing to take into consideration here is that I tripled the actual recipe. So the quantities may be off. I was cooking this dish for five adults and four kids. (The original recipe only makes four servings.)

So here is the original recipe:
Creamy Ranch Chicken

Ingredients


* 6 slices bacon
* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
* 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
* 2 Tbsp. ranch dry salad dressing mix
* 1-1/4 cups whole milk
* 3 cups dried medium noodles
* 1 Tbsp. finely shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Cut bacon into narrow strips. In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. (This is where I added mushroom) Drain bacon on paper towels; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings.

2. In the same skillet cook chicken in reserved drippings until tender and no longer pink, turning to brown evenly. Sprinkle flour and salad dressing mix over the chicken in the skillet; stir well. Stir in milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir in bacon. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions. Serve chicken mixture with noodles; sprinkle with Parmesan. Makes: 4 servings


So here is a shot of the skillet, just as I threw the chopped mushrooms into the pan with the bacon. Honestly, you have to love the smell of bacon. I wish they made a bacon deodorant. I would buy it..LOL

Here's an attempted close up. ( We didn't have my wife's awesome camera.)

While that was cooking down, I cut up all the chicken to bite size pieces.....

Then the water finally came to a boil so I started the noodles. Next i drained the bacon/shrooms on some paper towels.

Then I started the chicken. It didn't take long, and the smell. Oh man. Chicken cooking in bacon fat. Im getting all emotional just thinking about it.

After the chicken had all cooked well, I added the ranch and the flour and mixed it up real good, to where the chicken was coated and there was nothing left in the bottom of the pan.

Then I added the milk......

After the flour started to expand when the milk got hotter, I added back the bacon and mushrooms and stirred them in. I let this mixture cook about three minutes until the noodles where done.

And there you have it. This was a very simple meal, honestly, this would be a great starter meal for someone that is just getting started with cooking.

No comments: